Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sisters, OR

Emily/Gangles and I made an unexpected stop in Sisters, OR.  The original plan was to run through Oregon in 17 days without a day off.  During the heavy rain after we left Ashland, I tweaked my knee.  My knee felt more and more sore.  The lava rocks a few miles from McKenzie pass were the last straw.  Gangles and I hitched out to Sisters, OR.

We were dropped off in the center of town, near Bronco Billy's.  I was pretty glum, so we went to get ice cream at Ali's.  As we walked in, we were greeted by a petite Ukrainian woman with the most perfect tapering braids.  Em and I ordered quiche and a cone, and Ali came to sit at our table.  She brought us soup, and asked us how we were doing.  She held our hands, and told us she was proud of us.  She likened our hike on the PCT to her experiences in Siberia.  (For the record, I think Siberia is tougher than the West Coast).

She was a beam of pure sunshine. and the exact kind of trail magic we needed for a glum mood and bum wheel.

p.s., The huckleberry ice cream was phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment